Sunday, July 18, 2010

Asia Trip: Hong Kong

Originally, Hong Kong was planned as a mere stop over on my way back to Vancouver. But the three days that I spent there were amazing, and enough to convince me that I needed to return. One of the key memories that I have of the trip is the time spent in Lan Kwai Fong, or LKF for short. LKF is Hong Kong's bar district, and our night there was filled with bar-hopping while sampling specialties from each establishment we visited, including Vodka shots in the cold room of a Russian bar, to Jello Shot's from Al's Diner, and in fine Hong Kong form, we ended the night with Dim Sum at a nearby restaurant that doesn't open until 4am.

Unfortunately, I wasn't willing to take my camera to LKF, so most of my pictures on this site are of scenery =D


I met up with a childhood friend of mine who lives in Hong Kong, and he showed me a few of the sites. This is a shot of Hong Kong side from Kowloon side, after taking the Star ferry across.


Another shot of Hong Kong side.


An egg tart, from *the* Hong Kong bakery. Yup, the one that the former Governor General of Hong Kong frequented. I think I ate my first egg tart at a dim sum restaurant in Mississauga, and I've loved them ever since, but I don't think anything could have prepared me for how delicious this one would be.


A bit later, we headed up to the peak for some shots of Hong Kong at night.


The weather was extremely fickle - we were at one point caught in a torrential downpour - but fortunately the sky cleared up for long enough to take this, one of my favourite shots ever.


Prior to racing off to the airport to catch a flight back to Vancouver, we went to the Aberdeen Marina Club for dim sum. Again, delicious food, and gorgeous scenery.

I think I could grow to get used to this city.

No comments:

Post a Comment