Decided to try another new street food option with Beginning Fresh. This time, it was Ragazzi Pizza Co. at 400 Burrard Street.
As well as offering 4 options in slice form (Capriciossa, Primavera, Prosciutto e funghi and Hawaiian), they also make full size pizzas to order.
I ordered the Hawaiian, and my friend ordered the Prosciutto e funghi. I have to admit, I was a bit underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong - the pizza was delicious - The slice could have used a tad more sauce in my opinion, but the thin crust, however, was spot-on. Definitely a step up over the regular fare that you'll find on Granville Street.
However, the options seemed mundane (though rather impressive sounding in Italian), and not unlike those very easily available in the downtown core. For example, the prosciutto e funghi slice could have done with something a bit more adventurous than white mushrooms.
I think my expectations were set a bit high by the level of creativity and quality delivered by my still-favourite street food option, The Re-Up BBQ. For example, Ragazzi have hit it out of the park by offering more adventurous slice options with fresh ingredients like salmon or boccacini (e.g. the similarly priced pizza lunch options offered by Italian Kitchen)
In retrospect, I think its a bit unfair for me to require a vendor that seeks to be "traditional" to be a bit more out-of-the-box, but because of how commonly available pizza is as a fast food item, I think this joint needs to be much more of a pioneer in order to be succesful.
No comments:
Post a Comment